Anzola: a Conversation

                                                       Photographed by Patricia Godina

Before the world turned into unfamiliar ways, I had the opportunity to speak with a very wise and talented individual- Anzola.
Anzola, originally from Venezuela has now become a familiar artist within the Toronto beat community. From being creator of Subtle Blend (a platform that showcases independent and aspiring artists since 2015) to conducting luminous sounds in his home studio, Anzola continues to flourish quite significantly.
As we sit and start the interview in his studio, instantly you can feel the vitality of his workspace. I knew right away that this is the home of a musician. From speaking about the city's music scene to sharing his own experiences in the industry, Anzola without a doubt continues to evolve adequately.

Interviewer: What's the next step for you?

Anzola: Personally, it's to move some of my own content, release some either material through labels or myself. Focus on maybe collaborating with some other artists here in the city, or internationally. And I wanna- you know, maybe test the waters and get into different genres that I haven't explored. I really wanna touch some of my roots of Latin territories and rhythms, and I wanna teach myself a little bit more Jazz theory.

Interviewer: Through your personal experience, what are the best platforms to promote your music?

Anzola: It's funny because throughout the years I've changed completely. I was one of the early people who joined MySpace and found content through MySpace and found similar artists as myself through there. Back in the day in Venezuela, I had a couple of projects with my friends in more the noisy/punk, lo-fi territory in recording in one room, but I also did my own stuff that I would do in fruitloops and put out ambient beats. It was really incredible to have feedback- right away. So, to me- to my experience and to see the evolution from going to MySpace to places like Last FM, where you would have like suggestions- and now- the best platform I think for independent artists would be Bandcamp. Based on the fact that the attributions go directly to the artists Bandcamp, they can have merch directly there. Personally, I think nowadays any artist who wants to be heard or who wants to be considered, can't afford to not be everywhere. So, that means- anywhere, really. I believe that if you are trying to be as successful as possible, you should be on every platform.

                                                       Photographed by Patricia Godina

"When I'm putting out content I'd like for it to be different each time, and new. And still, have the same sensitivity that I put towards my production, it's something that continuously keeps evolving."
(Anzola, 2020)

Interviewer: Was there ever a moment in time where you felt stuck with your music?

Anzola: Absolutely. There are times where it was either the amount of stuff I was influenced by or listening to that ultimately resulted in me having a very narrow sound. And I enjoyed it but then I realized I just sound like what I'm listening to right now. And it's good to have influence, but it's also I think crucial for you to have your own voice. For you. Not for like you know, an equivalent of a successful career or exposure. I think for you. You as an individual. For you as a musician where you listen back to the music you make- I think that the most important listener should be yourself to say "that's unique" or "that's different." Even if it is influenced by a lot of stuff. I feel when I was a bit stuck in that territory I was inspired by a lot of people outside of my genres, that kind of you know- drag me out of that box. Because, I started noticing that you know- nowadays, in the globalized society where we are, you really can't be influenced by so many different sounds. I personally go from my roots, but then I also go for things that are just not familiar to me. And that has really been the thing that's kept me outside the same kind of rhythm I'm looking for.

Interviewer: What's the best constructive criticism you've ever received?

Anzola: "You gotta be more of an asshole." If it's quote on quote exactly what it was then- yeah, you gotta be more of an asshole.

Interviewer: If an opportunity arises- where would you like to go on tour?

Anzola: Europe- that would be the first place. Spain- for sure. Italy, France. I think I'm very drawn to two places in the world. I'm very drawn to the west coast kind of culture of being near the ocean and the mountains. So, it could be either B.C or California. but, I'm also really drawn to the lifestyle of Europe in the sense of eating well, I don't drink anymore but I like the mentality of drinking fine wine and sitting and enjoying myself or drinking coffee- or the view. So, it comes from enjoying where people would label it as "little things" there's nothing little about looking at the ocean and having an espresso. I would love to tour South America because I've never played electronic music in South America, I used to play with my band in Venezuela. But, if you were to ask me tomorrow where would the first place I would tour- it would definitely be Europe.

Interviewer: Lastly, any future projects coming up?

Anzola: I'm in the process of hearing back from Factor. If this pans through I'm gonna be putting out an EP. If it doesn't- I'm still gonna be putting it out. So, I won't mention the label if it doesn't pan through. But, you can look forward to a six-track EP coming out in the near future. I'm doing three songs in the more danceable territory, and three are more classic Anzola, ambiance, and soulfully styled and more music coming out definitely. More collaborations, I have a collab coming out with my friend JD that we just wrapped up and maybe more housey stuff here and there.

After this interview was conducted Anzola announced his EP released with the label Urbnet called "Caracas." It will be released on June 8th. 

Written by Patrizia Godina

Comments

Popular Posts